Tips to Boost Immunity Naturally: We often get sick either suffering from a simple cold, cough or fever. Reasons are different because we all possess different-different immunities. But we can enhance our immunity so that we fall less sick & prevent ourselves from various infections. Elders and infants have low immunity and hence are more susceptible to diseases.
So before going on the natural ways to boost our immunity let’s see what basically Immunity is?
Immunity is a condition of being able to resist a particular disease/infection, preventing micro-organisms to attack our immune system. It’s of 2 types- Innate Immunity (Which is present since birth) & second Acquired immunity (Which we acquire during our lifetime).
Some people become sick as the season changes, they become more prone to infections. The Winter season increases the cases of flu, cold & other respiratory infections as viruses tend to be more stable in cold climates.
A good immune system comes from good health & maintaining adequate hygiene. With rising population & pollution it has become difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Either we are eating bad products or we have poor eating habits.
So here we have listed ways to strengthen the immune system-
6 Tips to Boost Immunity Naturally
Fruits are rich in vitamins and fibre. It is really beneficial to include fruits like oranges, Apples grapefruits, lemons and kiwis etc in your diet as they have high amounts of vitamin C – one of the biggest immune system boosters.
Oranges are high source of Vit C, they’re well known for being packed full of immune system-boosting vitamin C—every variety of orange contains more than 100% of your recommended daily amount. As we all know Vit C act as an antioxidant which prevents free radicals, prevents cells damage, increases collagen production, manages Cortisol levels.
Grapefruits are also a great source of vitamin C. They consists of fiber and vitamin A, which supports immune system. They have high water content which helps keeps the body hydrated.
Apples are great sources of fiber and natural sugars & it’s skins contain Quercetin,a type of plant pigment flavonoid that helps in boosting immune system.
Lemons- an excellent source of vitamin C, among many other nutrients. The high amounts of vitamin C,will boost immune system and keeps body healthy. Lemons had multiple benefits such as-
- Prevents bacterial growth and infections
- Treat throat infections
- Loosens chest congestion
- Lemon juice is an anti-inflammatory because of its anti-oxidant properties.
- Soothes itching and heals with anesthetic properties.
2. Get Enough Sleep
Sleep is important for each human being & it’s advised atleast 7-8 hrs of sleep is must for a healthy adult though children need more hours of sleep. Sleep directly do not effect our immune system but plays a major role in building a healthy immunity.
Read Also: 6 Ayurvedic Beauty Tips
Getting sufficient hours of high-quality sleep enables a well-balanced immune defense that features strong innate and adaptive immunity, efficient response to vaccines & less severe allergic reactions. And we know allergies are main enemies of our immune system.
3. Eat Fresh Vegetables
It’s a common myth that only fruits rich in Vit C can help to boost immunity but there are certain vegetables that can boost our immune system. And it’s very important to eat fresh, as stale food items could be a house of various micro-organisms that can lead to various infections & later develops into serious diseases. So let’s see what all vegetables boost our immunity-
Bell peppers– They are high source of fibers and antioxidants & extremely high in vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its immune benefits like supporting cellular function in both the innate and adaptive immune systems.
Garlic –Garlic is a very famous ingredient in Indian curries. It has been widely used since ages for various ailments. It is a potent antioxidant due to it’s active component allicin content.
Cauliflower plays a vital role in improving the immune system. It contains active compounds such as Choline, Glutathione which help body against certain viruses.
Choline also helps in maintaining the structure of cellular membrane, assisting in fat absorption and reduces chronic inflammation. The presence of antioxidants such as vitamin K, vitamin C, and manganese helps in lowering the risk of oxidative stress and helps to keep the body healthy.
Tomatoes are loaded with all kinds of health benefits. Lycopene is one of the vital antioxidants found in tomatoes that helps in fighting against cancerous cells. Tomatoes contain vitamins such as Vitamin A & C which is an important immunity booster compound.
Spinach is one of the most highly nutritious vegetables. Spinach loaded with antioxidants such as flavonoids, carotenoids, vitamins C &E and phenolic compounds control the effect of free radicals to reduce their harmful effect when consumed.
Ginger is used as a herbal remedy for cough or as an expectorant. Ginger extract with honey is given in cough & has various other benefits.
4. Avoid Smoking & Drinking Alcohol
- Alcohol has diverse adverse effects throughout the body, including on all cells of the immune system, that lead to an increased risk of serious infections.
- Alcohol & Smoking damages the immune cells and fine hairs that have the important job of clearing pathogens out of Airway.
- If the cells lining a person’s airway are damaged by smoking & alcohol, then viral particles more easily gain access to our body causing immune cells to damage and hence more susceptible to serious infections.
- So if you want your immune system to remain healthy it’s advisable to stop drinking alcohol & say a big NO to smoking.
5.Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia) Decoction
- A very well-known natural herb in Ayurveda which is used in many forms either decoction, extract, churna, Vati, etc for curing various ailments.
- Giloy is also known as “Guduchi” or “Amrita” in Sanskrit is used as an immunity booster.
- The stem of Giloy is considered highly effective because of its high nutritional content in alkaloids, glycosides, steroid & other compounds found in it.
- These compounds present in Giloy are effective against various disorders such as Diabetes, Cancer, Neurological problems, Fever, Arthritis ETC.
- Giloy activates the immune system of our body and increases vitality in a person. It is full of antioxidants which help to release toxins from the body.
- Giloy also detoxifies skin and prevents acne & skin breakouts. Giloy is also used for liver diseases, urinary tract infections & heart-related issues.
6.Yoga & Pranayam
- Pranayam is a practice of deep breathing.
- Increases and enhances the quantity and quality of life, thereby increasing our energy levels.
- Makes one energetic, enthusiastic, calmer and positive.
- Brings harmony between the body, mind, and spirit, making one physically, mentally and, spiritually strong.
- It brings clarity to the mind and good health to the body.
- Improves sleep
Some of the Pranayams which should be daily practiced are
- Bramari Pranayam
- Kapal bhati Pranayam
- Bhastrika Pranayam
- Nadi shodhan Pranayam
- Yoga- is a method of physical exercise. The word “Yoga” essentially means-“that which brings you to reality”.
- Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines.
- The word ‘Yoga’ is derived from the Sanskrit root ‘Yuj’, meaning ‘to join’ or ‘to unite.
- The aim of Yoga is Self-realization, to overcome all kinds of sufferings leading to “The state of liberation (Moksha) or ‘Freedom’ (Kaivalya).
- “Yoga” also refers to an inner science comprising of a variety of methods through which human beings can realize this union and achieve mastery over their destiny.
Some of the Yoga Postures
- Surya Namaskar
- Bhujang asana
- Setu bandh asana
- Trikon asana
- Uttanpada asana
- Padahasta asana
- Ardha kati chakra asana
- Vajra asana
- Bhadra asana
- Shashank asana
- Gomukh asana
- Dand asana
- Pawan mukta asana
- Sarvang asana
- Hala asana
- Shalabh asana
- Dhanur asana
- Tada asana
- Makar asana
- Shava asana
We all are concerned about our immunity & also of our loved ones. We know that how badly this COVID-19 pandemic has hit us all & affected our lives. So it becomes too important to maintain a healthy & hygienic life so that if we are affected with any kind of virus our body fight all the infection. And all these could be possible only if we follow some simple rules above.